The Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Agency is committed to promoting the importance of responsible play and educating all Maryland residents on the resources available for individuals who have gambling problems.
The Maryland Problem Gambling Helpline 1-800-GAMBLER (426-2537) is available 24 hours a day and connects individuals who struggle with problems due to gambling behaviors to the resources they need, including counseling, peer support, self-help and support groups. Maryland residents are eligible for “no cost” problem gambling treatment and can be referred directly to a counselor through the Helpline. In addition, individuals and family members can be connected to a Peer Support Specialist and “have a conversation” with someone who has lived experience with problem gambling and recovery. For more information and resources, visit helpmygamblingproblem.org.
Voluntary Exclusion Program (VEP)
In 2011, the MLGCA instituted a self-help program for individuals who wish to voluntarily exclude themselves from casino or lottery play. The program is also available at MLGCA-regulated bingo halls in Anne Arundel and Calvert counties. Information on the program is available on the MARG website or by contacting the MLGCA’s Responsible Gambling Program Director at 410-230-8798 or responsible.gaming@maryland.
Maryland Alliance for Responsible Gambling (MARG)
The MLGCA is a founding member of the Maryland Alliance for Responsible Gambling (MARG), a statewide partnership focused on coordinating and maximizing resources to address problem gambling in Maryland. For more information, please visit MARG’s website: mdgamblinghelp.org.
- Maryland Center of Excellence on Problem Gambling: mdproblemgambling.com
- Maryland Coalition of Families: mdcoalition.org/get-help-now/Gambling
- Maryland Council on Problem Gambling: marylandproblemgambling.org
- National Council on Problem Gambling: ncpgambling.org
- Gamblers Anonymous International Maryland Hotline: 855-222-5542, gamblersanonymous.org
- Gam-Anon Family Group, 888-230-1123, gam-anon.org/meeting-directory